Survey model and methodology
An overview of the survey questionnaire
The content of the National Patient Experience Survey questionnaire is taken from a library of questions from Picker Institute Europe, an international leader in the measurement of patient experience. Over 100 people, including patients and patient representatives, policymakers, data analysts and academics, were involved in selecting the most important questions relevant to the Irish healthcare context.
The National Patient Experience Survey 2019 includes 58 structured tick-box questions and 3 open-ended (free-flow) questions.
Several steps guided the development of the questionnaire.
- An international review identified that many other countries use pre-validated questions from the Picker Institute Europe.
- Patient and data focus groups identified the most important question areas.
- A Delphi Study identified 60 priority and 40 reserve questions.
- Picker Institute Europe checked measurement and analytic quality of the questions.
- Ten cognitive interviews took place with patients to correct any problems with the first National Patient Experience Survey questionnaire in 2017.
- The National Patient Experience Survey governance groups finalised and approved the questionnaire for 2017.
- In 2018, eight cognitive interviews and four focus groups took place to test the survey, which underwent some changes.
- The survey is reviewed annually. To see reports on the changes that have been made click here.